The Bulgarian Forum for Financing Energy Efficiency Projects
The transition to a low carbon economy requires higher levels of energy efficiency and better energy management, the entry of new specialised services and the development of appropriate financing mechanisms. This challenge is relevant particularly in the Bulgarian buildings sector, where the current 100% grant mechanism for the renovation of multi-family residential buildings needs to be reformed into a more sustainable financing scheme that is socially permeable, ensures the participation of vulnerable consumers and at the same time sets higher benchmarks for energy efficiency and environmental benefits.
The aim of BeSMART is to create a permanent discussion forum for joint policy development and the structuring of innovative financing schemes to stimulate investment in energy efficiency. In this respect, the project foresees the following activities:
- Involving all stakeholders in an open dialogue
- Dissemination of good practices, initiatives and tools
- Building an online communication platform for knowledge sharing and experience
- Conducting 9 national roundtables with wide media coverage
- Concrete recommendations for the development of financial instruments to support energy efficiency
Expected benefits of the planned activities include:
- Active participation and first-hand information on the design of new financial schemes for energy efficiency
- Increased potential to develop and manage deep energy-efficient building renovation projects
- Support for local 2030 Sustainable Energy and Climate Plans and building renovation strategies
- Momentum in the push towards a more attractive and accessible urban environments, reduced energy poverty and better air quality.
This project is funded under the European Union's Horizon 2020 programme with grant agreement No 101033787,
Project coordinator is the Energy Efficiency Centre EnEffect, with the participation of the Agency for Sustainable Energy Development, Econoler SA (Bulgaria), Bulgarian Industrial Association – Alliance of Bulgarian Businesses, EcoEnergy Municipal Network for Energy Efficiency, University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy, Alliance for Energy Efficiency, Bulgarian Construction Chamber, National Trust EcoFund, Gabrovo Municipality and Sofia Municipality.